Top 8 SSL VPN Tools
Citrix GatewayPulse Connect SecureCisco IOS SSL VPNSonicWall SMAHillstone E-SeriesF5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM)Sangfor SSL VPNBarracuda SSL VPN
The solution is stable.
The solution has very flexible configuration.
It is customer-friendly. It is quite easy for our users to connect. There is also the flexibility of the features.
The most valuable feature is being able to securely connect and use virtual desktops.
It is a product that is very robust and durable.
It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me.
Secure Mobile Access (SMA) is easy to configure and the deployment is straightforward. However, this is mostly because of the AWS setup.
I am very satisfied with the technical support.
The installation is easy, we have not had any complaints from our customers.
The initial setup was straightforward. It only took a few hours to deploy.
The solution is stable and reliable.
This is a product that is easy to install and integrate, and it is simple to use.
The most valuable feature is our ability to limit access by user, IP address, or MAC address.
The most valuable feature would be that you can actually narrow down your session to one application on one server, which is really nice.
It's a stand alone system that functions well.
Why are SSL VPNs important?
With many employees now working from home, SSL VPNs are becoming more important than ever before. As companies provide corporate network access, the rate of fraud incidents exponentially increases when home internet connections are used. Potentially weak or unsecured connections are targeted by cybercriminals, making companies more susceptible to threats and malicious attacks. Because organizations have to provide secure and safe internet access, the VPN solution they choose should be scalable and easy to use. SSL VPNs are crucial since they ensure the safety necessary for heightened security, they can be accessed from any device, they are location-agnostic, and they require little to no enterprise computing experience for employees. More importantly, they offer peace of mind for employers, so that they can feel comfortable allowing their staff to continue working remotely from home.
How safe is SSL VPN?
SSL VPNs are safe and secure so long as your browser is protected. An SSL VPN becomes compromised as soon as the browser being used is compromised. However, SSL VPNs are still considered safe because communication happens via an encrypted connection, regardless of what type of device is being used, and no matter if network access is through the public internet or another secure network. Having an SSL VPN also limits access to applications, giving organizations the ability to manage users’ privileges more precisely, which subsequently provides businesses with more control over security.
Differences between VPN and SSL VPN
VPNs preceded SSL VPNs, but SSL VPNs are just as secure and safe as IPsec (Internet Protocol Security) VPNs. SSL VPNs are primarily used for web applications, unlike VPNs which are used for both web and non-web apps. The endpoints for each protocol also differ between VPNs and SSL VPNs; An SSL VPN provides users with access to a specific application or a particular system on the network while a VPN provides full access to an entire network along with all of its applications.
Cyberattackers can gain complete access to a corporate network through a VPN. However, with SSL VPNs, only specific operating systems or applications that the SSL is associated with are compromised if and when a cybercriminal attempts to access exposed networks.
Another major difference between VPNs and SSL VPNs is that an SSL framework makes assigning administrative rights to users (depending on their needs for access or their seniority) easy.
Types of SSL VPN
SSL Portal VPN is a type of SSL VPN that allows one SSL VPN connection at a time to remote websites. After remote users have been authenticated, they can access the SSL VPN gateway via their web browser. This SSN VPN is referred to as a “portal” because only a single web page is necessary in order to access other resources. Generally, users can access this gateway using any web browser and the username and password that are typically provided to them by the VPN gateway service.
Features of SSL VPN
- Interoperability: With the vast number of client device manufacturers (laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) and their operating systems, interoperability is one of the most crucial and advantageous features of an SSL VPN.
- Digital certificates: SSL VPN solutions commonly implement digital certificates to help manage communications access. These certificates add an additional layer of security by using protected passwords.
- Multi-factor authentication: VPN access is only granted with multiple factors of authentication. Once credentials are confirmed and validated, users are given access.
- Integration: Many corporate environments use SSL VPNs to work with an authentication backend via an active directory. Only users that are part of the VPN group are given access by an administrator who is responsible for releasing a certificate for it. When access is no longer needed, the certificate doesn’t have to be revoked. Rather, it can just be removed from the access group, no longer making it possible for users to join.
- Granular control: VPN concentrators can regulate remote users’ VPN traffic. This allows granular access control, allowing one user access to a specific group of servers and another user to have access to certain networks or equipment.
Benefits of SSL VPN
- Easy Implementation: SSL VPNs are simple to implement, especially at an enterprise level, and can be easily configured for web browsing.
- No client software installation: Typically, users do not need to install client software to use an SSL VPN, whereas traditional VPNs require client software to be installed before establishing a connection. By eliminating specific software installations, companies are able to indirectly reduce IT support costs.
- Easy to use: End users are not restricted by the operating system and therefore can choose any web browser they prefer to use.
- Convenient: With an SSL VPN, you can connect to an internal corporate network from anywhere, at any time. With this flexibility, employees can work remotely if desired.
- Default: Another advantage of SSL VPNs is that some browsers already have it as a default.
- Fast implementation: Not only is an SSL VPN able to be implemented quickly, but there is also a minimal learning curve involved.
- Low cost: Because SSL VPNs are cost-efficient, companies find SSL VPN solutions appealing and see them as a worthwhile investment.